By: Ashley Merone
Italian lasagna is a very important recipe in my family because it is a main dish that represents our culture. It is a food that every Italian has in common and can enjoy together even if they do not know each other. Many people all around the world know that Italians make the best lasagna and they’re right! Lasagna is a delicious meal and really not that hard to make. The most difficult part of the recipe is the preparation time since you have to prepare many of the ingredients that go into the lasagna beforehand.
I chose this recipe not only because it tastes good, but also because it has some significance. Since lasagna is a meal that in my culture you do not make very often because it takes time to prepare and get ready, it becomes more of a special meal. It is special because it is enjoyed more when family members come over rather than a type of meal made every week. My Nonna always cooks it, and I’m always there by her side trying to help crush the meatballs or the eggs. Even though it takes a long time to make, it gives us a chance to bond and have a good time together.
Whenever I eat lasagna anywhere else or see it, the thought of my Nonna always comes to my mind. This meal also brings family together. Once it is cooked, everyone is sitting around the dining room table waiting for their plate. The fact that we have the opportunity to eat great food, laugh, and be around family is the greatest part. These are the reasons why the recipe for lasagna is very important.
(The tomato sauce)
- 2 660mL jars of tomato sauce
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- half a cup of water
- olive oil
- pinch of sugar
1. Start your lasagna by making the tomato sauce.
2. In a large pot add your 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, chop your onions and garlic then add them to the pot.
3. Lightly sauté until tender and then add your 2 jars of tomato sauce. Next add all your spices: parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. The amount of spices you put will be up to your taste buds.
4. Now add half a cup to a cup of water and cook for an hour at low heat. In addition put a pinch of sugar into the sauce to cut down on the acidity. Stir every once in a while.
- package of mince meat (enough to make over 10 meatballs)
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
1. To make the meatballs, start off with beating two eggs in a bowl.
2. Add your garlic, then put in your meat and mix it together.
3. Add salt, pepper and breadcrumbs and mix it together to make your meatballs.
4. In a frying pan, lightly brown the meatballs and then put them in the cooking tomato sauce to finish cooking.
IN ADDITION: boil seven eggs. When cold, mash the eggs and set aside. As well, cut eight mushrooms, slice, sauté and set aside. In addition use 250-500g of shredded Mozzarella. Use as much of the shredded mozzarella as you wish.
Making the Lasagna
1. When the sauce is ready, remove the meatballs and mash them up.
2. Get your lasagna pan ready and pour a layer of sauce at the bottom.
3. Cook your pasta and put your first layer of pasta on top then alternate between the mushrooms, the eggs, the cheese and the meatballs.
4. After this, cover with more sauce and add another layer of pasta and repeat. Put a last layer of pasta and cover it with a lot of sauce and cheese.
5. Cover the pan with foil and put in the oven for an hour at a heat of 350 degrees.
6. After an hour take it out and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.